Saturday, February 12, 2011

Dear Clark,
Thank you for the unexpected visit today. There you were on Turner Classic Movies playing Rhett Butler. And it is the day after I started posting the musings we share. And the Wall Street Journal covered a new book about Gone With The Wind. It's a sign.
Watching GWTW again, what a lovely treat. But since that first time I saw you in that Bellevue theatre, I've wondered why Scarlett held so much fascination for you. You never knew the term "high maintenance" probably. But there you have it: you fell for a high maintenance babe. And you remember how that turned out. Just saying.
I went to A Midsummer's Night's Dream at my old high school today. A fairy fell for an ass in that play, so it seems to be a timeless scenario that plagues both sexes. The fairy at least had the excuse of being under an enchantment. I've fallen for an ass as well. Unfortunately, I don't have a wood sprite to blame. But if you think about it, enchantment can look like many things: a dark-haired man with a moustache comes to mind.
A self-help book has probably supplied the answer to why these things happen. But I've given those books up in honor of entering my second half century. It was like burning my bra or something.
I don't think Scarlett would have read them. That's another sign: I'm sure of it.
No sign of your replacement, yet. But I'll think about that tomorrow, after all tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment